Re: let's be civil...

In a message dated 4/23/98 2:03:50 AM, dlh@donnahalper.com wrote:

<<Umm, with all due respect, I think community oriented full-service radio CAN
still work, if done right.  I believe there IS a need for a station to be
competitive in the area of news and investigative reporting, some sports,
some older music that still sounds good (big band or swing are just two
genres that appeal to older people-- many of today's 50 year olds like rock
music... check out who is going to those classic rock concerts-- it's not
just teenagers...) >>

Let's look at WKXL in Concord, NH...There are definately  community minded
with local call in talk shows, local news, live coverage of area High School
sports, live coverage of school board and city council meetings, swap shop,
lots and lots of local programming.  They do an excellent job of covering
Concord and vicinity.
Most residents tune to them first for any kind of news flashes, weather, etc.
Yes, I'll agree that they are on FM as well as AM, but up until the recession
of the early 90's they had that format only on AM.  So, it goes to show that
community minded radio does work.  By the way, I'm 31 and enjoy listening to
that type of programming as well as all music radio.  I truyl believe that
radio is important for older folks as well as younger folks.

Gary Ford
WFTN-FM