Re: WSRO sold

- -----Original Message-----
From: SteveOrdinetz <steveord@xtdl.com>
To: Dan Strassberg <dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net>;
boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
<boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Date: Friday, April 17, 1998 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: WSRO sold

>At 11:29 AM 4/17/98 +0000, Dan Strassberg wrote:
>

>>The right wingers keep crying about liberal-leftist media control. Umm,
>>don't look now, but methinks they protest way too much! Look who controls
>>radio locally. And the situation in MetroWest is FAR from unique. In fact,
>>it's typical of the situation throughout the country.
>>

>I would say that the media tended to be a bit left of center until the
>mid-ish 80s, but agree that today it seems to be (with the exception of
>NPR, which is still rather leftist) rather right-leaning.
>
>I think much of the whining about "liberal media" was justified in the
>80s...the mood of the public had shifted to a more conservative direction,
>and it took the media a while to catch up.  Eventually, the public mood
>will swing back left again & there will be complaints about how right-wing
>everything is.

I'd say that your "eventually" is now. I've seen a defined turn to the left
since (ironically) shortly after the 1994 elections, when Republicans gaind
control of Congress.

More than being "left" or "right", people are "complainers". I've seen this
at the local level first-hand, and believe it to be true on a national scale
as well.

- -Paul Hopfgarten
Derry NH