Re: Subject: The Future of 890.

<< One of the problems with simulcasts that someone has already brought up
here
 is that, somehow, the public seems to interpret simulcasts as a sure-fire
 indicator of failing stations. Maybe that's because so many simulcasts have
 involved failing stations. OTOH, maybe, as radio geeks, we know too much
 about which stations are failing and we jump to conclusions about what the
 public thinks. After all, who but a radio geek knows or cares whether the
 station he's tuned to is on the verge of bankruptcy.  >>

Thanks to your response to my question.  Fuller-Jeffrey has been pretty
successful with their simulcast of 93.9 WCYI Lewiston & 94.3 WCYY Biddeford.
It that case, I don't think the public has a negative impression of the
simulcast and being on adjacent channels helps a lot.  There is a good deal of
overlap in Greater Portlnad but the combined signal gives them coverage of
southern and central Maine that is only topped by WHOM, WBLM and WPKQ.

Dick Gleason has two simulcast operations.  Country 92.7 WOXO Norway and 100.7
WTBM Mexico are a natural combination of Class A stations that allows him to
coverage both the Oxford Hills area and the Rumford/Mexico area of Oxford
County.  He also simulcasts his leased time religion/talk format on 1450 WKTQ
South Paris and 1240 WTME Lewiston.

A natural combo in southern Maine would be 95.5 WXGL Topsham and 95.9 WRED
Saco.  Both are Class A rimshotters and neither station is a player in the
Portland market, but with a combo (and good programming) they would have a
chance.  The adjacent channel thing also would help this combo.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine