Re: WBPS sold

At 12:08 AM 4/16/98 EDT, you wrote:

>But which is the 2nd religious station you are speaking
>off? I only thought there was WEZE. WBPS does have better facilities and a
>nice studio in Charlestown,

WROL. It isn't 100% religious (Gus Saunders, Irish program on weekend, and a
few other things), but it must be at least 80% paid religious programming.

>but they would be better off moving closer to the
>transmitter in Dedham.

As I said in my posting, the TX is in Ashland. The fact that the station is
licensed to Dedham is pure accident. Family Stations (or American Family
Stations), the outfit that originally got the CP, specified Dedham in their
application. They never were able to secure a TX site before they went into
bankruptcy. Whoever owned WBPS at the time the station finally got on the
air from the former 1060 site applied (maybe even got a CP) to change the
COL to Wellesley. I think the rationale was that Wellesley was the only
sizeable community that does not have a licensed commercial station and to
which WBPS delivers an "interference-free" signal at night. Sherborn also
complies, but it's not a sizeable community. Apparently, the FCC was willing
to let Dedham stand as the COL, Perhaps the FCC granted a waiver of the rule
that requires an interference-free nighttime signal over 80% of the area of
the COL.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205