Re: FM128 v. Pru (was: WBOS signal)

At 04:47 PM 4/12/98 -0400, you wrote:

>If all things are somewhat (loosely put) equal, (FM128 to Pru) aren't the
>stations losing more RF to the whales and cod now that the sticks
>(non-directional) are astride the harbor?

Yes, but the ad agencies are in town. When the only FMs with TXs in town
were WBCN and WZLX, the receiver front-end overload problem in town was not
too severe. But once additional stations started to move into town, all of
the commercial FMs kind of had to follow. (Or all that could had to follow,
I guess that means all except WBOS.) The problem is that the more RF there
is in town, the worse the front-end overload problem becomes there. Only a
station with a very strong signal can be heard. If the ad agencies can't
hear a station, they buy time on other stations. Thus, the herd instinct (or
in this case, maybe that should be the "heard" instinct) is definitely at work.

Years ago, there was a section of 128 in Needham that was considered by car
manufacturers to be the acid test of FM receivers' immunity to front-end
overload. Reportedly, manufacturers used to send cars equipped with new
receiver designs to the area for evaluation. Whether the area around the
Sears Tower in Chicago has now replaced 128 I can't say. Maybe the car
manufacturers now send their test receivers to downtown Boston. Given the
speed at which traffic moves downtown, this should provide plenty of time
for thorough evaluations.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205