Re: WNNW/WCCM

>Paul Hopfgarten wrote, about WNNW staying up late:
>>I believe they get 2 hours past local sunset, which puts them at 9:30Pm
>signoff.

        The rules give what used to be many daytimers two hours, but not
WNNW and other stations within the 0.5 mv/meter 50% skywave contour of a
U.S. Class A station. Those on foreign clear channels and those on U.S
clear channels but outside the 0.5 mv/50% skywave contour of the U.S. Class
A station get to stay on for two hours. As far as I can see, there are
hardly any daytimers left on the foreign clear channels (690, 740, 800,
etc.), as nearly all are like WJIB -- given flea power to stay on all
night. Likewise, stations outside the 0.5 mv contour of U.S. Class A
stations, which also get two hours of PSSA if they are daytimers, usually
are not daytimers anymore. Since the latest rules changes were put in,
fulltime stations are authorized on these channels -- i.e., the 890 in
Dedham, the new 720 in New Hampshire, WKOX on 1200, etc. And daytimers on
the regional channels get two hours.
        The Class A stations' 0.5 mv skywave contours are still
"protected," so daytimers within them only get the PSSA until sunset at the
Class A station closest to them to the west. For WNNW, that's WBT, and
there's no ambiguity there. Sunset at Charlotte is signoff time for WNNW.