Re: WBZ, WRKO

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, ASchinella wrote:

> Oops Joe; you made a boo-boo: Barney Frank beat incumbent Margeret Heckler for
> the Congressional seat he now holds.

Nope.  Barney Frank was first elected to Congress in 1980, when the
Vatican ordered Father Drinan to step down.  Then, as a result of the 1980
census, Massachusetts lost one seat in Congress, and the districts were
re-drawn so as to require Barney Frank and Margaret Heckler to run against
each other, in a district that was mostly Heckler's district.  I'm told
that this was, at least in part, Billy Bulger's revenge for Barney's part,
as a state representative, in forcing the re-drawing of Senate districts
to create a predominantly Black Senate district, back in the early 70s.
Especially upsetting to Bulger is supposed to have been a proposal by
Barney which involved a significant re-drawing of Bulger's district.  As
they say, "Don't get mad, get even."  All efforts to add areas with
significant Jewish populations, such as Framingham, to the district, were
thwarted.

According to one article I read, it was Joe DeNucci, then a state rep and
now State Auditor, who sat a depressed Barney Frank down and showed him
how he could still win the district with some hard work and old-fashioned
grass-roots campaigning.  And it worked.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/