Re: WBZ, WRKO

- -----Original Message-----
From: WhomFAN <WhomFAN@aol.com>
To: Hopfgapr@sprynet.com <Hopfgapr@sprynet.com>; ASchinella@aol.com
<ASchinella@aol.com>
Cc: boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
<boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Friday, April 03, 1998 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: WBZ, WRKO

>FROM   http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?const:8:./temp/~const_cSqD::
>
>>From Article I Section 8 Of The Constitution of the United States
>
>No person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the age
of
>twenty five years, and
>been seven years a citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when
>elected, be an inhabitant of
>that state in which he shall be chosen.

But this artcle (not to nitpick) does NOT pertain to Senators.

I believe that Senators were appointed to serve by State Legilatures until
Ammendment XVII passed in 1913(?)

Article 1-Section 3:
Section 3 · The Senate; How choosen; Qualifications; President of the
Senate, voting; President pro temp, officers; Power to try impeachments;
Impeachment of President.
The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each
State, chosen by the Legislature thereof, for six Years; and each Senator
shall have one Vote.
Immediately after they shall be assembled in Consequence of the first
Election, they shall be divided as equally as may be into three Classes. The
Seats of the Senators of the first Class shall be vacated at the Expiration
of the second Year, of the second Class at the Expiration of the fourth
Year, and of the third Class at the Expiration of the sixth Year, so that
one third may be chosen every second Year; and if Vacancies happen by
Resignation, or otherwise, during the Recess of the Legislature of any
State, the Executive thereof may make temporary Appointments until the next
Meeting of the Legislature, which shall then fill such Vacancies.
No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of
thirty Years, and been nine Years a Citizen of the United States, and who
shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall
be chosen.

So whomever said that RFK only had to attain citizenship BY ELECTION DAY was
correct.

Thank You for the Clarification
- -Paul Hopfgarten
Derry NH