No Subject

Subject: CBS/ARS Divestment.

I brought this subject up a couple of months back, but with the CBS/ARS
 merger finished, I wish to bring it up again.

The subject is, for those who missed it, whether CBS might sell-off the
 850 frequency but NOT the WEEI call letters or programming.

If CBS keeps WNFT-AM, I can forsee the folowing:

(1) CBS keeping the WEEI call letters and programming, which would NOT be
 sold with 850.

(2) WNFT is re-named WEEI.

(3) Due to WNFT's signal area, one of CBS' Boston FM's (probably WZLX,
 as it's the lowest-rated of the FM stations CBS will get to keep) is
 re-named WEEI-FM.

(4) 1150 and the FM (probably 100.7) would simulcast a sports format 24
 hours a day. If CBS keeps WVEI in Worcester, it would be heard there as
 well.

(5) Since CBS would NOT sell-off the sports programming when selling-off
 850, the new WEEI AM/FM (1150/100.7?) would air ALL FIVE Boston-area pro
 teams (red Sox, Patriots, Bruins, Celtics, and Revolution) with conflicts
 handled by a combination of WBZ-FM and/or WBCN-FM and/or WODS-FM.

(6) This would allow more news (perhaps even 24/7--if WBZ could "sell off"
 the Brudnoy and Raleigh contracts to an existing talk outlet [WRKO?],
 even if it's a different owner) on WBZ.

(7) And the FM signal would compensate for the weak 1150 signal--until, as
 some members of this newsgroup have suggested, a new 1150 transmitter site
 could be built which would allow an increase to 50,000 watts (perhaps with
 CBS buying other 1150's on the east coast to shut them down). Once a more
 powerful 1150 signal is achived, CBS may no longer need an FM simulcast.

Does anyone think this idea can really work? Let me know by posting to
 this newsgroup.

Joseph Gallant

<notquite@hotmail.com>