No Subject

Subject: A CBS/ARS Alternative.

To appease Justice, I wonder if CBS can change whatever stations from ARS
 it needs to spin off.

SApecifically, I'd like to ask the other regulars in this newsgroup if
 CBS can end up keeping and selling stations according to this speculative
 list:

Stations to keep: WBZ-AM, WRKO-AM, WEEI-AM, WODS-FM

Stations to sell: WNFT-AM, WVEI-AM (if found to be a Boston station),
 WEGQ-FM, WBMX-FM, WZLX-FM, WAAF-FM, and WBCN-FM (but NOT the WBCN/New
 England Patriots contract. That would STAY with CBS!)

Possible advantages:

(1) CBS would have three strong AM signals.

(2) CBS would have all five Boston pro teams (Red Sox, Bruins,. Celtics,
 Patriots, Revolution) who would be consolidated on WEEI (except for
 conflicts which WRKO and/or WBZ and/or WODS-FM can handle).

(3) CBS could consolidate all it's talk programming (except Howard Stern
 and Imus) on WRKO.

(4) CBS could consolidate all it's sports talk programming on WEEI.

(5) WBZ can go all-news 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Possible disadvantages:

(1) CBS would have only one FM signal.

(2) CBS' three AM signals are the three strongest in Boston. Some might
 not like that consolidation.

(3) Other groups (particularlly whoever buys the CBS/ARS stations being
 spun-off) might not get into the pro sports play-by-play business,
 since CBS has all five local pro teams.

(4) I'm not sure (this is why I'm asking for your input) if keeping WBZ,
 WEEI, WRKO and WODS, and selling-off everything else, would satisfy
 Justice.

Let me know if my "alternative" has merit. If it does, perhaps someone
 can secretly send this note to Uncle Mel.

Joseph Gallant

<notquite@hotmail.com>