Re: Guy Gannett Sale

In a message dated 98-04-01 12:59:45 EST, Garrett wrote:

<< Thankfully, those same rules ensure that the newspapers cannot be sold
 to McNewspaper.

 -GAWollman >>

If you read the Portland Press Herald regurlarly, you would see that it is not
much better than USA Today.  Longer articles, but still all fluff.

The article in today's Press Herald quoted one analyst who speculated that
Gannett might spin off WCSH-TV so they could buy the Portland Newspapers.

Another company mentioned as possible buyer for the Portland Newspapers was
the New York Times.  While I don't agree with their editorial point of view,
from their track record in New York and Boston,  it would seem more than
likely that they would make major improvements to the Portland paper.  I think
at one time the New York Times owned the weekly York County Coast Star in
Maine.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine