Re: market size increase

<< The way I'd heard it, over 50% of Arbitron subscribers in a market must
 petition for a market definition change before Arb will consider it. >>

I'm not sure what begins the process of changing the defenition of a market,
but last year Arbitron did consider a request to add Androscoggin County
(Lewiston/Auburn) to the Portland Market (which is now only Cumberland
County.)  This proposal was being pushed by the owners of WKZS/WTHT/WLAM
because all three stations have large audiences in Androscoggin County.  The
move was strongly opposed by Saga and Fuller-Jeffrey and was ultimtely
rejected by Arbitron.

An expansion of the Portland market has been talked about for years and has
always been strongly opposed by the top stations in Portland because any
expansion would hurt their ratings.  In my opinion, the Portland radio market
should rationally include Cumberland, Sagadahoc and Androscoggin counties and
northern York County.  (Biddeford/Saco)   If you look at the Arbitron TSA
numbers, such a change would likely have a major effect on how the Portland
ratings line up.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine