Re: where are the proofers???

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Ira Apple wrote:

> First the new announcer was taught to say "double-you".  Then he (or she)
> learned that the word was "Nyouze" not "Nooz" and for some reason thought that
> Noon should therefore be pronounced Nyoon.  Could I have a dime each time I
> have heard, "Now, the Nyouze at Nyoon"?

I think that may have something to do with how our speech centers are
wired up.  When I learned these things back at WMUA, I knew very well that
it wasn't "Nyoon."  But when I tried to learn to say "Nyouze," I started
to say "Nyoon" automatically and had to consciously stop myself.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/