Re: "Black Monday" at WGIR-FM.

As this list's usual defender of corporate radio, I have to say that even I am
appalled by Capstar's recent actions with their New England holdings.  I think
these moves are clearly motivated by short term earnings and not long time
gain.  Why all business owners must be concerned about costs, not all are this
short sighted.  I think in the long run, it will hurt their bottom line.

I am a proponent of stations broadening their service area by simulcating on
different signals.  I think the WCYY/WCYI combination and WOKQ/WPKQ
combinations under Fuller/Jefferey both make sense and serve the bottom line
and the listeners.  I do not understand combining two successful stations like
WGIR and WHEB.

I would also like to state that before the Telecommunications Act of 1996, new
owners would come into a station, fire high priced talent, and dump formats
that had been successful.  This is not a new development.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine