Re: Licensed Pirate Radio??

<< I'm sure that those license and spectrum fees provide insignificant
 income for the government, though.

 Rick Kelly >>

Yes and No.  In the grand scheme of things, the total is insignificant but the
government gets so big by getting a little bit at a time from a bunch of
different sources.  Bob Bitner was telling me that  the FCC has recently
raised license fees significantly and they base them on the number of people
served by a station.  As a result, little WJTO has to pay a big fee because of
the station's great daytime signal.  I don't remember the specific dollar
amount, but it was a lot for a stand alone, AM daytimer.

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 07:20:21 +0000 "Chris Beckwith" <beckwith@ime.net>
writes:

>The FCC's only apparent function on the broadcast bands these
>days is to maximize revenues (through license and spectrum fees)
>for the Treasury.

In the FFC's defense, most of the changes they have made allowing new stations
and other things have been as a result of pressure from Congress or direct
legislative manadate, and a regulatory agency should respond to our elected
representatives.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine