Re: WFAN New York

At 04:18 PM 8/1/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>WFAN signed on July 1, 1987 at 3:00pm at 1050 AM replacing country
>>formatted WHN. The station moved to 660 on October 7, 1988. 1050 then
>>became spanish formatted WUKQ until early 1989 when WUKQ moved to 97.9
>>FM as WSKQ-FM, and WEVD moved from 97.9 to 1050.
>>
>>Lance Venta
>>venta2@tcnj.edu
>
>I thought that WEVD-AM was originally 1330.

WEVD was originally on 1330. Actually, it probably was originally on some
other frequency, but its post-NARBA home was 1330, where it shared time with
the old WBBR (unrelated to the current one) and WHAZ, Troy. WEVD had one of
the earlier FMs in New York--on 97.9. There may have been an earlier
occupant of 97.9 in NYC--WGYN?--but WEVD-FM had been on 97.9 for a long time
when the AM 1050 switch took place. Anyhow, among the machinations on 1330
were TX moves and buyouts, not all of which I can accurately recount. At one
point, WEVD gave up its TX in Maspeth Queens and began sharing the WPOW TX
on Staten Island. WPOW were the calls of what had once been the old WBBR. At
some point, WPOW acquired or merged with WEVD (AM) leaving WEVD as an FM on
97.9. WPOW eventually became WNYM. WNYM was owned by Salem Communications,
the owners of WEZE--and, for the moment, WPZE. When Salem acquired WMCA, it
sold WNYM to Radio Christiana, which changed the calls to WWRV. Somewhere
along the way, WWRV gave up the Staten Island TX and began diplexing with
WWDJ in Hackensack. Salem later acquired WWDJ from Communicom, the owners of
WNRB. So it seems that Salem just can't get away from at least controlling
the TX of the AM 1330 in NYC.

Anyhow, when Emmis bought WNBC, it had to dispose of WHN. Spanish
Broadcasting, the owner of WSKQ 620 (now WXLX) cooked up a deal to get
itself an FM signal. At the time, no company could own more than one AM in a
market, so Spanish acquired WHN from Emmis and flipped it to the Forward
Association, in exchange for WEVD-FM. Forward also got a big chunk of cash
from Spanish, because, by then, the FM was worth substantially more than the
AM. So that's how WEVD got from 1330 to 1050; there was a long detour to
97.9 along the way. But Forward has continually owned at least one station
called WEVD in NYC for close to 70 years.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205