Re: WFAN New York

<< Can someone give me some background on WFAN Sportradio 66 in New York
City?
 While I understand that The Fan celebrated its 10th anniversary on July 1,
 I also have read that WNBC-AM, which was previously located on 660, did not
 sign off until 1988. What is the discrepancy? Did WFAN start on another
 frequency? I thought I might have seen mention about WFAN starting at 1050,
 where WEVD is now, but no further. As someone who heads down to New York
 frequently, this interests me. >>

WFAN did start on another frequency (I believe it was 1050, but I'm not
sure.)  The owners at the time, Emmis Broadacsting, bought WNBC and switched
WFAN and the format to 660.  That was also when the real success began for
the station, with the improved signal an more importantly, Imus.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine