WFAN New York

Can someone give me some background on WFAN Sportradio 66 in New York City?
While I understand that The Fan celebrated its 10th anniversary on July 1,
I also have read that WNBC-AM, which was previously located on 660, did not
sign off until 1988. What is the discrepancy? Did WFAN start on another
frequency? I thought I might have seen mention about WFAN starting at 1050,
where WEVD is now, but no further. As someone who heads down to New York
frequently, this interests me.

Another New York insight: On my way down there Saturday, I was listening to
WRKS (98.7), the R&B and soul station which has air personalities such as
Ashford and Valerie Simpson. The Saturday afternoon drive DJ was mentioning
a request from two callers who were visiting town, and said they were from
"Roxbury, Massissippi." The jock, Mike Shannon, went on to add "that's what
it might as well be called." I guess Massachusetts is not too popular of a
state in Mr. Shannon's eyes. (By the way, could a DJ be suspeded for saying
something inflammatory like that nowadays?)

Sean Smyth
Smyth Sports Enterprises
10 Linley Terrace
South Boston, Mass. 02127
617/268-7012
Metropolitan Boston's leader in local sports broadcasting
ssmyth@tiac.net