Re: Lowell Folk Festival

Donna > >I wonder why attendance was down...

Dan > Well, when WADN was folk, they promoted the Lowell fastival heavily.
Since
> the Concord area is just a hop, skip, and jump from Lowell, that
undoubtedly
> hurt somewhat. And, for whatever reason, WUMB, the Boston area's
> more-or-less full-time folk station wasn't there, so they probably didn't
> promote the festival very heavily either. Perhaps WUMB did not appear
> because Pleasants, who does AM drive on WUMB, does a weekend show at
WGBH,
> and appeared at the festival as a WGBH personality. I have the feeling
that
> competition is just as heated among non-comms as among commercial
stations.

I agree.  In addition, anyone from the Lowell area will attest that the
Bostonian's view of the Merrimack Valley is similar to that poster that
depicts the Bostonian's view of America:  Boston Common, Storrow Drive,
128, then cut way, way out to: 495, Mississippi River, LA, Asia, Boston
Harbor, etc.   Despite its proximity, Lowell and vacinity is seen as,
"Can't get there, shouldn't get there from here...."    Bill