Re: WBZ Weather

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Bill O'Neill wrote:

> My hunch:  When that first happened I faguely recall the reasons involving
> two points, first was a union contract issue (TV guys wanted some
> reasonable compensation to do radio side and were declined).  A secondary
> premise was that Accu-WX was a fairly good service BZ didn't want the
> competition to get (HDH?).  (Aside from WX Services in Bedford/Zona,
> Saulnier, etc., there was no other solid competition.  Come to think of it,
> there still isn't.)

  Actually WHDH was one of Accuweather first clients going back to
the mid 70's.....and Elliot and Jess Cain would banter back and forth
happily and it took a long time for anyone to catch on that Elliot and
crew were in Pennslvania not Boston. My gut tells me they switched to WBZ
around the same time that Larry Glick switched to WHDH.

 BZ was strange for so many years in the fact that the TV people entered
the building and turned left, the radio people went right and just seemed
to ignore each other for years.