Re: LTAR

<< While listening to today's LTAR, it occurred to me to wonder whether all
 the criticism of satellite programming isn't a bit misplaced.  The 1930s
 and 1940s, and into the 1950s, were the era of network radio.  When it
 largely disappeared by the end of the 1950s, people were nostalgic for it.

 Well, guess what.  Network radio is back.  And it's back for the same
 reason it was started in the first place -- because it can provide a lot
 of stations with good progra >>

Amen.  I listen to Imus every morning because he has the most entertaining
show on the air in Portland.  The problem is not network programming, but
stations that hook up to the dish and ignore any local involvement at all.
 WGAN in Portland is all network, except for the morning show and a few
weekend shows, but they still do local news during the day (with three
full-time people) and are visible in the community.  If they tried to do
local talk all day, it would not be profitable in a market like Portland.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine