Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 7/17:

On 20 July 1997 at 11:28 p.m., you wrote:

>I wonder what station teenagers listen to these days.

Speaking for myself (I am the abnormal teenager, of course) I am a pretty
big dial scanner, although for some reason WEEI, WCRB, and WBCN are the top
three, whenever I am not listening to a tape or CD. I would say among
"normal" teenagers, though, the listening is broken up into several
segments. The modern rock crowd seems to find WBCN, WFNX, and sometimes
Kiss on their radio dial. The rap/hip-hop/innercity crowd generally listens
to WJMN and a lot of the stuff which runs on the college stations,
especially WERS. (They air a lot of the hip-hop, reggae music.) The funny
thing is that the same rock crowd which despises dance music is being fed
that same dance music on the Saturday night programs which 'BCN and 'FNX
air. Guess those stations are trying to diversify audience.

Sean Smyth
Smyth Sports Enterprises
10 Linley Terrace
South Boston, Mass. 02127
617/268-7012
Metropolitan Boston's leader in local sports broadcasting
ssmyth@tiac.net