Re: Hello and Help!

Rob Landry wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, SteveOrdinetz wrote:
>
> > Not to appear overly thick, but what does a station GAIN by having jocks
> > play CDs instead of some sort of hard-disc system?
>
> Among other things, CDs don't evaporate when your hard drive crashes
> (we've lost two drives so far; thank God for backup tapes!).
>
> Also, some people think that digital compression adversely affects the
> sound quality of music on FM.  They may think their station does not sound
> as loud or as good as stations playing CDs.  My experience is that what
> these people hear are *analog* problems.  For example, our PD complained
> after we installed our Scott System that the station wasn't as loud as
> before.  The problem proved to be a cheap analog audio switcher Scott
> supplied as part of their system.  I replaced it with one of my own, and
> the problem went away.
>
> Rob Landry
> umar@wcrb.com

When we put our FM on the air a couple of years ago, our GM also
complained that we didn't sound as loud as the competition.  Of course,
reminding him that our signal strength wasn't as much as the other guys
did no good.  Anyway, the engineers did a little tweaking and upgrading
and eventually he got distracted with other problems.
We have been using Scott from the beginning.  There were some start-up
problems, but they have been resolved. We have upgraded our CPU system,
and everything works fine.
Of course, our CD players are capable of being used on the air if
needed, but they are mostly used for downloading the music to the hard
drive.  I can only recall one or two instances where we have been forced
to use them, and none in recent times.

Dan Cole
WTSN / WBYY
Dover, NH