RE: Hello and Help!

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> Not to appear overly thick, but what does a station GAIN by having jocks
> play CDs instead of some sort of hard-disc system?

Among other things, CDs don't evaporate when your hard drive crashes
(we've lost two drives so far; thank God for backup tapes!).

Also, some people think that digital compression adversely affects the
sound quality of music on FM.  They may think their station does not sound
as loud or as good as stations playing CDs.  My experience is that what
these people hear are *analog* problems.  For example, our PD complained
after we installed our Scott System that the station wasn't as loud as
before.  The problem proved to be a cheap analog audio switcher Scott
supplied as part of their system.  I replaced it with one of my own, and
the problem went away.

Rob Landry
umar@wcrb.com