Re: WVCA

At 04:04 PM 7/17/97 -0400, Brian Vita wrote:

...discussion on Simon Geller

>I watched him back cue a record (remember those), pot down the outgoing TT, pot
>up the incoming TT, open the board mike, sit back in his old office chair
>(SQUEAK!) take the freshly cued record off of the TT (with the pot UP) place it
>between him and the mike, annouce the record (including the pressing number),
>place the record back on the TT and drop the needle (still potted up) on the
>record and then start the TT.
>
>He was also famouse for letting a record sit in the runout groove for a
while, then
>come crashing into the studio, key open the mike and say (breathlessly) "I"m
>sorry about the record, I was watching Columbo".

There was a station in some suburb of Erie, Pa. WHYP AM-FM I think that was
another one-man operation with similar standards of technical excellence.
James Brownyard was the owner's name.  He, too would let records run out,
talked in an almost unintelligible accent (and mumble a lot, too), and
frequently ramble on aimlessly on the air for 5 minutes or more....when he
was done you couldn't remember a thing he said.  For lack of a better
description, what he played was country.  I think he died in the late 80s.
No high school station ever sounded as bad as this one!  I think I have some
tape of them somewhere.  :-)