Re: History Timelines etc

At 09:49 AM 7/17/97 -0400, Rob Landry wrote:
>On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>
>> Of course, that depends on which part of Middlesex... the southern
>> part (Framingham), yes; the northern part, no.  That's why the notion
>> of a 99.1-99.5 combination makes so much sense.
>
>Of course, if Greater Media bought 99.1 it might make just as much sense
>to shut it down and move 99.5 to Needham or the Pru.

I didn't think it was possible (legally) to intentionally take an FM dark,
doesn't the license just go up for grabs if an FM goes dark?  I thought it
was only AM's that got deleted.

Anyway, why would anyone WANT to delete a license that serves a top 10
market?  Look at WRPT....here's an essentially brand new station that has a
crappy signal and probably no one listens to, yet someone went to great
effort to get it on the air since it "serves" the greater Boston market.