Re: WVCA

RE>>WVCA
>> Speaking of WBOQ, does anyone have any stories about Simon Geller, who
>> owned WVCA, which was later sold to Tanger and became W-BACH? A man
>> operating a radio station out of his apartment was a really fascinating
>> story.
>>
>I will never forget that voice!  Typical break:
>"....(pause)...(pause)...(cough)...THIS IS Dubbayu VCA  in GLAWWSTAH
>MASSACHUUUSETTS...."  Everytime.  Didn't he record his music all on ancient
>reels and playback on Wollensacks or something?

When I visited the studios (on top of the "Glass Sailboat" health food and
"hippie" store in the early 70's, the tape decks were Roberts and the console
was a "Sparta".

I watched him back cue a record (remember those), pot down the outgoing TT, pot
up the incoming TT, open the board mike, sit back in his old office chair
(SQUEAK!) take the freshly cued record off of the TT (with the pot UP) place it
between him and the mike, annouce the record (including the pressing number),
place the record back on the TT and drop the needle (still potted up) on the
record and then start the TT.

He was also famouse for letting a record sit in the runout groove for a while, then
come crashing into the studio, key open the mike and say (breathlessly) "I"m
sorry about the record, I was watching Columbo".

One of my business associates called him and commented that his records were
sounding a little worn.  He replied that he couldn't afford new ones.  My
associate suggested that he tape them.  He said he hadn't thought of that...

Brian Vita
CSS, Inc.