Re: History Timelines etc. (99.5 divisio

> Showin' the age here, but I remember when console radios for the parlor

> were sold with push buttons for quick tuning.  The radio came with a
> sheet of little paper tags with all the call letters in the dealer's
> area.  The dealer set up each push button (actually a separate tuning
> coil) to the buyer's preference and inserted the call letters in the
> button.  Other radios without pushbuttons had the call letters of the BIG

> stations etched right into the tuning dial.  Kinda shows the expected
> permanency.

I have a 1921 GE radio that has five buttons like the ones you describe.
(My grandparents bought it new at the Bon Marche store in Lowell the year
they were married for, I think, around $175(?)  Manually, it tunes very
well, but I can't seem to get the coils to tune in very well (small screws
need to be carefully adjusted.)  Anyone have any suggestions?  BTW, the 19"
speaker blows away anything Sony can sell me.  There is a distinct audio
level difference b/w local and distant stations not heard on newer am
radios.  What makes that happen?