RE: WXPO-TV in Lowell????

BUMP MARTIN Wrote:[

>Does anyone know what years WXPO in Lowell was actually on the air?

I joined in late summer of '69 - they were just on the air.  By how much,
I don't know.  I left during the BIG LAYOFF in March '70.  Pretty much
all that was left was the corporate officers and the chief engineer.
 After that, they ran mostly movies and syndicated stuff.

>I'm surprised I never saw or heard this station...And I live in the
>Merrimack Valley...

Don't be.  It was a very well-kept secret.

>In my area...we wouldn't watch Channel 9, because all the same shows
>were on the Boston network afilliate...With ONE exception!  UNCLE >GUS!

Well, you missed Treehouse 50!  Definitely a "one-of-a-kind".

Somewhere, in my archives, I have some WXPO stickers (big ones - almost
5" in diameter).  The logo was based on the Philips TV camera color wheel
(alternating red and green stripes).  Maybe I'll dig out a few and give
them away to broadcast trivia question winners.