Re: Romper Room

Bill O'Neill wrote:

> > Ah yes, Bozo and Nozo and Miss Jean.  Anyone remember Miss Frances and
> Ding
> > Dong School?  And speaking of local shows, how about Major Mudd?
> Whatever
> > happened to him???
> >

> I heard the Major succumbed to a medical condition he had for a while.
> Remember the sliding door to the set that often got stuck half open and
> needed a shove the rest of the way?  He seemed excited everytime someone
> said they were from South Weymouth.  (Everyone's gotta like someplace....)
>
> Was Jean Harrington the only Miss Jean or was that a franchise like Bozo?
> I must admit, at the early viewing years in the mid 60s I bought into that
> Magic Mirror idea big time.
>
> Captain Kangaroo - a big chunk of his set along with the Dancing Bear - are
> tucked away in a small display at a (forget exactly but can find out) gift
> shop on the Cape.  Sort of like in exile...  By accident, browsing, I
> happened into this back room and there was this life sized - bear and other
> set stuff.  The proprietor confirmed that it was, indeed, the one and only
> Dancing Bear from the 60s kids show.  He actually flipped the switch and
> the bear (a bit musty around the edges) did a little soft show, er, paw.
> (Am I the only one interested in this?!  If so, I'll change the subject and
> never bring it up again.  ;--)

When I was a kid we moved a lot (military).  Heck, I went to almost two
dozen schools before I got to high school...but that's another story.
It was always nice, no matter where we were, to be able to turn on the
tube and see the Captain, or the Friendly Giant, or Howdy, or any of a
dozen kids programs.  For that matter, I even remember the beginnings of
the Muppets.
When we got to New England, I thrived on Major Mudd, Rex Trailer et al.
Somehow, I don't think today's brand of kid programs, (PBS being an
exception in some cases),can hold a candle to what came before.
Just my nickle's worth...enough for a chocolate milk in the cafeteria.

:)

Dan Cole
WTSN / WBYY