Re: NJ Mystery TX Site

At 06:42 AM 7/14/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Greetings All:
>
>When I was a kid, I was brought by my mother to a place where she used to
>shop in northern New Jersey., somewhere near Paramus (5 miles north of WABC's
>current site).   This place was a "department store" (that's what they were
>called in those days) named "Packard's".   On TOP of the 2- or 3-story
>building were two self-supporting towers, which I believe greatly to have
>once been AM transmitting towers.   The towers were spaced apart by at least
>300 feet, and were probably 175 feet high, each.    The year we're talking
>about here is around 1959.
>
>Anone out there know what this site was???????
>
>----jibguy

How about the site of WPAT before it became full-time and moved to Clifton?
That's a guess--though I wonder if WPAT didn't start using its current site
when it was still a daytimer. I know that before WJZ moved to the current
(WABC) site in Lodi, the TX was in Wayne NJ, not too far from Lodi. I was
given to believe that WJZ had a single guy-supported tower in Wayne,
however. I don't know for sure, though. I remember, vaguely, when WJZ moved
from Wayne to Lodi--and I think the move might have been concurrent with the
NARBA frequency shift. I remember ads in subway cars (car cards) that said:
WJZ--now louder, clearer at (I think) 770 on the dial. Pre NARBA, WJZ was at
760. Conceivable, isn't it, that WJZ first moved from the Westinghouse
factory in Newark to a rooftop location in Wayne, and then to a regular site
there, and finally to the current site in Lodi?

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205