Re: FW: Oops 7/4...and WRKO!

<<On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 18:04:21 -0300, "Paul R Hopfgarten" <hopfgapr@sprynet.com> said:

> Since 680's ownership has changed many times, would not the start date of
> WLAW be the more accurate place to start

No.  WLAW ceased to exist when WNAC took over their facilities, so far
as we've been able to tell.  Furthermore, since it was the same
ownership on 1260 and 680, and we believe it to have been the same
license, we consider them to be one and the same.

> (Should 92.9 WBOS be traced back to W67B?, which was BZ-FM's first home,
> and 92.9 as their first FM station on the current band?)

No.  WBOS-FM was an entirely new licensee.  We consider W67B to be the
ancestor of WMJX, but only because WBZ-FM (the first) and WBZ-FM (the
second) were both owned by the same company and simulcast the same AM
sister station.  If WBZ had changed hands between '52 and '56, then we
would probably consider WBZ-FM (the first) as an ``orphan'', for much
the same reason as we don't consider W43B/WAAB-FM/WGTR to be the
original ancestor of WPLM-FM.

>  BCN back to thier "actual" start
> time, and not their 1968 "Rock" beginnings?)

Of course, and indeed that's precisely how we did it.  Our goal, after
all, is to document what ACTUALLY happened, not what some marketroid
would like to have happened.

- -GAWollman

- --