Re: Duh, woops!

At 07:57 PM 7/9/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Duh, you'd think I'd know the difference between 850 and 890.  Different
>array!
>
>John Garrett

I began wondering if that was what you meant. The lightning damage at the
base of the WGTR/WSTD/WTTP/WBIV/WBPS #3 tower, plus your comment about the
frequency change, pretty much clinched it for me, even before I saw your
latest post. I gather that the high voltage at the base of that tower was
what made them open the lightning gap and that resulted in the damage. It
took place while the array was still in use on 1060. I guess that any better
repair to the damage would be prohibitively expensive. Still, what's there
now looks pretty mickey-mouse to me. I guess that people doing target
practice with BB guns or shotguns also took out most of the glass feedthrus
in the walls of the other ATU buildings.

Can you answer a question about the WBPS night pattern? I've seen two quite
different renditions of it. The National Radio Club's Night Pattern Book
shows a modified cardioid, which makes sense given that all WBPS must
protect at night is WLS. John Kodis' Web site shows a teardrop, much like
the day pattern but slightly fatter. The teardrop, or something close, is
clearly necessary during the day--to protect WMVU, and to a lesser extent,
WCBS. (I think Kodis' site does not correctly portray the daytime radiation
to the west--the signal in Worcester would be quite listenable were it not
for splatter from WCBS.) But the teardrop night pattern doesn't make a lot
of sense to me. The only reason I can think of for the day and night
patterns being as similar as those shown at the Kodis site is that the
phasing equipment might have been substantially less expensive than if the
patterns were dissimilar.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205