Re: Fwd: ethnic radio

> At 03:47 AM 6/21/97 +0000, Dan Strassberg wrote:
> >
> >WNNW???
> >
> The AM 1110 in Salem NH. It's supposed to be directionalized to the
north to
> protect another Spanish-language station, WPMZ E Providence. But my
listening
> makes me suspect that they've (illegally) ditched the directional,
which would
> make sense because their target audience lives in Lawrence and Lowell-
- -"behind"
> the pattern.
Yeah....this is actually very interesting Dan...  WNNW/WVNH was in Salem
NH with a Major null towards the old WHIM 1110AM in Providence.

Now their studios are in Methuen....Behind the null....

And their broadcast target is in Lawrence....Even further behind the
null!

To be quite honest It *does* come in rather well in those towns....Even
better than it did when it signed on!

I don't think they could ever get authority to ditch the directional...

My guess is that the pattern has gone to pot....and since it improves
the signal....no one is worried too much...

>  I note that WNNW seems to have
> post-sunset authority. They sign off at what I assume to be Charlotte
sunset.

I noticed the post-sunset operation too.  I don't think they could ever
(in the past) get pre or post sunset authority because of Providence and
Charlotte and Pittsfield(?)...

Isn't local Charlotte sunset/sunrise the same as ours in Boston?

Would it be that "far out" to think that they have altered the patter
illegally....and operate after sunset illegally?

I'd be very interested in knowing if they got the legal OK to change
that original pattern....and their pre/post sunrise operation....

(I would have called.....but I was afraid no one there would be able to
speak english....)