Re: How do you get a diary? (Was: Ethnic Radio)

> On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Donna Halper wrote:
>
> > I'm so fed up with radio lately that I mainly play tapes in my car..
..
> > sometimes I listen to WBZ and count the number of mistakes... <g>
> >

> From: Kevin Vahey              \ Internet:    (kvahey@dnsmain.vw.org)
>
>   I have never believed in ratings since I saw first hand how they can
be
> "tainted".
>   In the late 1950's, my mother got a part time job for one of the
rating
> services in which they would send her lists of phone numbers to call,
and she
> would ask people if and what they were watching. One Saturday
afternoon, of the
> people she called that were watching television, they were all
watching
> wrestling on Channel 4. She felt so sorry for the Red Sox, that  she
changed
> Channel 4 to Channel 5.
>
>   Footnote, wrestling was moved away from the Sox games 2 months later
> (shrug)

All audience measuring services DO have their weaknesses....But remember
THAT was in the 50's....  Things have gotten a little better since then.
...  And most people will accept Arbitron (for Radio) as the reliable
audience reporting...

Now we can talk about their weaknesses.....which are....