MusicAmerica

The campaign to bring MusicAmerica back to WGBH is not over--if anyone
knows of a longer or louder protest over a radio show, let me know--and
this month we expect to see impressive results from our efforts at keeping
this issue alive.

The Save MusicAmerica Trust is sponsoring a benefit concert at Lexington's
Museum of our National Heritage on Sunday evening, June 22 at 7:30 PM. This
concert, dubbed, "Return to the 1940s," has a strong RADIO theme.

Leading off is the big band sound of Bob Bachelder and the 16 piece Totem
Pole Orchestra, featuring vocalist Nancy Carr.

The second half of the show features For Sentimental Reasons, 6 vocalists
and 3 musicians who recreate an Armed Forces Radio broadcast in period
dress (and hairstyles, jewelry, etc.) with the hit parade songs of the
1940s, vintage commercials, and war announcements. This energetic Rhode
Island group has performed up and down the East Coast and has gotten raves
performing at venues that range from the Boston Flower Show to WW II vets'
reunions.

Hosting the evening is none other than Jess Cain! As most undoubtedly know,
during his 35 year stint on WHDH, Jess was frequently seen in the area's
professional theatres as both a dramatic actor and musical comedy star. For
the 22nd, he has  prepared some special material for the event, and he has
been rehearsing with Bachelder's Totem Poles.

Jess and the performers have donated their talent for this event and the
proceeds will be added to the $50,000 already raised and held in escrow for
WGBH radio, conditioned only on the return of MusicAmerica.

For more information about the event, please respond via e-mail, or call
the Trust's box office at 617-259-0250.

I apologize if my "commercial" use of this mail list has offended anyone,
but with the radio theme and a limited ability to publicize the event
through other media, I thought many readers might appreciate this
information.

Steve Low