WBZ Stereo

Hi to all,

I'm fairly new to the group, although I spent 25 years in the radio
business before leaving to "pursue other interests" as they say.

A technical question if I may....don't know as it has been asked before.
On my 97 GM vehicle with factory Delco radio, WBZ has an awful
background noise, something akin to a large fan whirring away.  I
thought at first it was a studio air conditioner, but if I hit the
stereo button and turn to mono, the sound goes away.  Have never noticed
this before on any other am stereo station.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?  And why does an all news/talk
station need to broadcast in stereo anyway.  I could understand it
several years ago when they played music.

Joe Corcoran