Re: WHEB-AM...RIP

> So why couldn't WHEB find some
> college or other nonprofit institution to turn the station over to for the
> tax writeoff?

That wasn't a real option.  The only nearby college was UNH/Durham, and my
alma mater already had one station for the students to play with.   An NPR
outlet might have been the next logical option, but what good is All Things
Considered on a station that has to shut off at 5:30 pm in December?
Besides, at the time the NPR audience near Portsmouth was already being
served by stations in Biddeford and Boston.

When did New Hampshire's traditionally thrifty state government consent to
the creation of NH Public Radio, anyway?  I thought they'd have held out
forever against "National Liberal Radio" and "One Side Considered".  Did it
happen during one of the sporadic Democratic governorships up there?   :-)

- ---
Richard Aquinas Chonak, rac@gabriel.cambridge.ma.us