Nova Scotia DX in Boston.....

Greetings:
    I have had the pleasure of hearing the VOCM stations several times over
the years.  First time, I was at the WTFDA Convention in 1989 in Syracuse,
NY with Greg Coniglio and folks scanning the FM bands during an e-skip
opening.  VOCM-FM "VO-FM" came in clear as a bell in stereo from St. John's.
(Many of the "OZ" FM stations from Newfie were coming in as well.)  At
work at WHRC-TV/46 in Norwell, MA in 1989 I was moving the satellite dish
for a feed to record and found VOCM/590 on a satellite sub-carrier.  At
that time, the fact of listening to a local station via satellite was
something of a novelity and I was amazed !!!!
    While doing some maintenance at the Mighty WJIB/740 in the dead of
winter, I indirectly tapped into the transmission tower of the station
(which of course was signed-off for the night) a came upon a station calling
itself VOCM, which I knew was on 590.  I thought that 740 in Marystown, Nfld.
was CBNM.  Apparently the CBC sold the station to VOCM several years ago.
I had a chance to talk the Chief Engineer at VOCM who was doing some chores
overnight and he told me that the VOCM call-sign stands for the "Voice Of
Thge
 Common Man".  Pretty good !!

CHCM/740 has a local service during the day, while simulcasting VOCM all
night.

- -Pete-

Peter Q. George, N1GGP                  *  "Scanning the bands since 1967 !"
P.O. Box 1183                           *                  +
Randolph, Massachusetts 02368-1183      *                  |
USA                                     *      73         +|+    de N1GGP
PGEORGE@wellesley.edu                   *                +\|/+
XERB@bigfoot.com                        *               + \|/ +
W221AG@hotmail.com (my FM translator)   *               + \|/ +