Re: WFNX, stereo vs. mono.

<< I was raised on AM radio and some
 of Top 40's bigger hits were mixed to be Killer in Mono, >>

My $.02:

I might even go further (although no radio programmer would probably agree)
that some music sounds better in mono, and in fact on AM!

One case in point, the often mentioned (on this mailing list) WQEW, (1560)
NYC.  A good sounding AM station with music that sounds great on AM.  Much of
the music nowadays to my ears, is far to equalized to emphasize high
frequencies.  It's shrill!  Many FM stations use processing that adds to and
increases the shrill-ness (if there is such a word) and ringing.  Further,
the stereo versions of many sixties pop songs are annoying... many recorded
out of phase, a significant number using the outmoded concept of stereo, with
the singers on the left, instruments on the right... what were we thinking in
those days?

Rick Kelly