WHEB (was Re: Garabedian)

supersport wrote:
> I didn't know that Garabedian went to Knight after WMEX.  Did he consult
> with the New Hampshire properites, WHEB and WGIR-FM?  (Actually, it was
> probably too early for FM Rock in N.H. at that time.

When my family moved to New Hampshire in the mid-'60s, WHEB-FM seemed to be
fairly new, and carried a simulcast of the daytime-only full-service AM
(750).  Thousands of New Hampshireites probably still have their slogan in
memory: "if you want to know what the weather's going to do, call
four-three-six- two-eight-two-two."

We kids couldn't make any sense of the announcement that WHEB was a "Knight
Quality Station": uh, was that supposed to mean they were better in the
evening?  :-)

For a while, the FM side adopted the call letters WPFM -- maybe that
happened when the station made the switch to FM stereo.

Does anyone have the details of the history, about when the AM side went to
a standards format, while the FM became a pop station and took back the
original calls; and then later switched to album-rock or whatever it is now?

I should know more about this, since my Portsmouth High School buddy Jeff
May had a job there for a while, DJing the weekend midnight shifts as one
of a series of "Bill Silver"s.

- ---
Richard Aquinas Chonak, rac@gabriel.cambridge.ma.us