weak signals

On Sun, 25 May 1997, supersport@eb101.com wrote:

> For the most part, I do agree with John H.  Although, I believe MEX's
> signal was better then.  RKO at the time was too "formatted" for me.  WMEX
> had the better jocks as far as I was concerned and mastered at personality
> radio in Boston!

  Normally I would agree.....but WMEX was hindered by the fact that there
was a Top 40 powerhouse at 1520 (WKBW Buffalo) which caused MEX problems
as far east as Cambridge.

 I do remember as well when WMEX made the big switch to 50k D DA  in 1968
their day signal in Manchester NH vanished.........

 Simple fact is Boston radio was hindered at night by having to protect
stations to the west, AND the fact that before WW2 nobody lived in
MetroWest so there was no need to solve the problem.