Re: WRKO Lyric Edits....

On Mon, 12 May 1997, Donna Halper wrote:

> Actually, custom versions go way back before WRKO.  You 50s fans may recall
> a song called "High School USA" by Tommy Facenda.  He cut 12 different
> versions, with the names of high schools in major cities all over the USA.
> Trouble is, he relied on somebody who wrote down the names of the high
> schools, so in the Boston custom version, he says Wellesley wrong (he says
> it 'Wessley') and calls Jamaica Plain 'Jam Plain'-- obviously it had been
> written for him as an abbreviation but he thought that was the name of the
> town... Arnie Ginsburg and other top-40 jocks got a good laugh out of it...

I remember something called "Song of the City" that was played for awhile
on WCOP, circa 1960.  So far as I can tell, it was just on WCOP and done
specially for the station, but maybe you know something I don't.  It had
the repeated refrain, "Boston, Boston, that's my home town."  And it made
a lot of local references, ending with, "The most wonderful sound of our
home town is WCOP, Boston, Boston, that's my hometown."

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/