Re: AM 600 Montreal

At 04:55 PM 5/12/97 +0000, you wrote:

>the US government decided where the Canadian stations
>(which were very few in number compared to US stations) could and could not
>direct their night signals.

If you're referring to 1928, I don't think the statement is literally
correct, because I don't think AM directional antennas were invented for
another three years or so.

>And as you know from silly rules that keep
>stations like WILD from being on at night,

I disagree strongly that it is silly for WILD to be a daytimer unless WILD
could move to another frequency. Even if WILD were allowed reasonable night
power, it could not cover enough population to make nighttime operation
worthwhile. Boston is not more than 300 air miles from Baltimore--probably
less. WBAL, which is directionalized to the east, puts a very strong signal
into Boston at night. If you think CBL makes hash of WJIB, the interference
really isn't bad compared with what WILD would suffer from WBAL. It's been
proven time and again that stations with really marginal facilities don't
prosper. WILD, operating at night on 1090, would not be even close to marginal.

Allegedly, WILD had an opportunity to buy 1510 before Communicom did. The
reason stated here that WILD passed on the deal is that there was too much
interference on 1510 at night in Roxbury. If that story is true, it's pure
nonsense. 1510 has lots of reception problems in parts of Greater Boston at
night, but it doesn't have problems in Roxbury.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205