Re: AM 600 Montreal

At 12:59 PM 5/12/97 +0000, you wrote:

> Posing a question that nobody has ever been able to answer for me. CIQC
>(CFCF) has been on the air since 1919 and might very well be the oldest
>commercial station in North America. Given that, how did they get stuck
>with such an awful nightime signal?

Is it awful? It's a full 5 kw. It's directionalized to the north, which
could give you the impression that the signal is poor if you listen from
south of Montreal. I don't think it gets much interference. And 600 is a
great frequency for groundwave.

Now here's a greater anomaly (in my opinion). WHA Madison WI refers to
itself as "the oldest station in the nation". Until sometime in the 80s when
the FCC granted daytimers on Class III channels night service with limited
power, WHA was a daytimer. Now, when you sign off at sunset, you really _do_
have a poor night signal.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205