Late-spring DX

<<On Mon, 12 May 1997 11:10:19 -0400 (EDT), Doug Bassett <dbassett@sover.net> said:

> 1390 One-on-one sports. Maybe WKDR? Didn't know they did sports, though.

There are a few 1390s in New York; you probably heard one of them.
(Last I knew, WKDR signed off at midnight or thereabout... I once
listened to WKDR signing off right into a WEED sign-off.)

> 1540 Probably not Albany, no sign of them tonight. Faint, Spanish?

If it really was Spanish, I'd probably guess Fidel.  Otherwise, if
'DCD was off, you should be able to hear KXEL and/or ZNS1.

> 1610 TIS of some sort, very faint. Heard before.

I think that's the I-91 TIS near Bradley Airport in Connecticut.  I
remember it being unusually strong when I was last out there....

> 1640 Talk, mixing with music, definitely two different stations, both with
> English speaking male announcers, fading in and out. Never heard anything
> here before.

Mixing product, most likely.  CJCL plus CHUM, for example, could
generate a product up there (590 + 1050 = 1640) and would have
appropriate programming for your observation...

- -GAWollman

- --