Re: boston-radio-interest-digest V1 #35

At 08:06 PM 5/8/97 Peter George wrote:

>Subject: The Rock Garden (WCGY)
>
>     Man, what a station it was.  Formerly the old WCCM-FM, this station
>used to operate from the old Franklin Street site using a 5,000 watt signal
>that barely covered the Merrimack River Valley.  It went to 50,000 watts
>in 1973 from the Andover site still in glorious mono rebroadcasting WCCM
>(800) until sunset and stayed on the air until 10:00 pm.  That was the
>minimum broadcast schedule mandated by the FCC at the time.  Fortunately
>in April 1974, WCCM-FM switched to WCGY and went stereo with the TM
>Stereo Rock format as "The Rock Garden".

It's uncanny that you mentioned that.  I worked the 4 PM to 10 PM shift at
CCM-CGY during that time.  "You've found the sound; now tell a friend..."
(That was me.)  EVERY NIGHT I got requests for Aerosmith's "Dream On" and
Todd Rundgren's "Hello It's Me."  Since WCCM was programming adult
contemporary at that time, they had very little rock music in their library.
After the format change in April of '74, my job got a bit more mundane..I
got to change those four 10-inch TM automation reels every couple of hours.
I can't say that I share your enthusiasm for the sound of the station during
those days, but it was unique in the Greater Boston market.  I must have
heard Neil Sedaka's
"Laughter in the Rain" at least 93.7 billion times!
Take care--

Glenn Spatola
gspatola@tscnet.com
(360) 871-8237