RE: Censoring "Kodachrome"

H Glazer wrote:

>I recall hearing "the girls I knew" substituted for "the crap I learned"
>on several stations. Made no sense at all.

That was the other, more common censoredit.

Didn't make sense - but it fit musically (words came from the same
identical place in another verse) and "didn't miss a beat".
 Aesthetically OK, but highly illogical.

Editing out the words  "the crap" was mechanically easy (snip, snip,
splice), but it dropped a beat and sounded aesthetically unpleasing.
(Double-plus-ungood).

As a tech at WRKO, in the early 70's, I was called upon many times to
edit songs and lurid B-movie ads (e.g. Dr. Jekyll & Sister Hyde).  The
object always was to "offend as few people as possible."  Heck, they
edited "Hurricane" by Bob Dylan by snipping the offending word, flipping
the tape end to end and splicing it back in.  It came out a little
mumbled like "he didn't take TIHS from nobody"  (reversal is in the ear
of the beholder).  A competing station (WMEX?) bleeped it and call more
attention to the missing word than WRKO's reversal did.  Of course, in
the long run - almost nobody paid any attention at all and the song
stiffed.  Guess it was a tempest in a teapot.

In the late 60's and early 70's, record companies provided copies of
songs with doctored lyrics to appease PD's & MD's fearing the worst from
the listening public.  Some notable examples:

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison (His Greatest Hits features this version
only)
Rhapsody In The Rain - Lou Christie
Double Shot - Swingin' Medallions
Timothy - Buoys