Quad sound, was: First in FM Rock in Boston......

Peter George posts on the first rock station, and says:

>Eventually WAAF went progressive in 1971
>and experimented with "4-channel stereo" at the new higher powered Mt.
>Ashnebumskit transmitter site.  The quad experiment failed.

It seemed to have failed elsewhere, too.  I do recall WPLR in New Haven
trying quadrophonic sound, and as late as 1979, their listing in the
Broadcasting Yearbook indicated 'quad.'

How many other stations gave it a try in New England?  Did it fail for
technical reasons, or because the public never really embraced quad
receivers?  Did quad work similarly to stereo with a pilot tone for a
decoder?

Ed Hennessy