Re: more about payola in Boston

At 07:46 PM 4/30/97 -0400, Donna Halper wrote:

>Also, around the late 1959/ early 1960 time period, an amusing article from
>Variety noted "An adult music trend has been building in Boston.  Shifts in
>program formatting towards good music (sic) and elimination of rock have
>been going on... Three stations have banned rock entirely.  One never played
>it; one limits its play.  Five continue to play it. Banning rock are WEZE,
>WILD and WNAC.  WEEI didn't and doesn't play it.  WORL limits it to its
>after-school broadcast hours.  WBZ, WHDH, WTAO, WCOP, and WMEX play it.

What is WTAO now?  I've never heard of it.  I also can't quite picture the
WHDH I recall from that era playing rock...maybe the definition of "rock"
was much looser back then.

>The Variety article concluded with the news that "...WILD replaced its three
>daily jockey shows on November 1 with the "Musical Hall of Fame", made up of
>the best pop tunes of past and present.

This was a surprise to me...I'd been under the impression that WILD was a
soul/black music station it's entire life.  When did they switch to a soul
format...I vaguely recall them doing it in the mid-60s.